baked eggs w mushrooms and black rice
(Think you don’t have time, or this is too complicated – be sure to check out the meal planning and prep tips below to see how easy it is to incorporate this into your week)
This dish will be the star of your day, whether it’s breakfast, or you could even have this for lunch or an easy, nutritious dinner. If you’ve got plenty of zucchinis in your garden at the moment this is just another way to use them.
- 40g cooked black rice
- 60g button mushrooms
- 110g zucchini
- 4 stalks asparagus
- handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp brown onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 stem spring onion
- 2 eggs
- Heat olive oil in small oven proof fry pan over med heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chopped mushrooms, zucchini and asparagus and sautee until lightly browned.
- Mix in lemon rind, spinach leaves, chopped spring onion and black rice and continue cooking til spinach is wilted.
- Make two small wells and break the eggs into the wells and place pan in a 180 degree pre-heated oven. Cook 5-8 minutes until whites are cooked and yolks still runny.
- Serve straight away with plenty of quality salt and cracked black pepper.
One of the biggest challenges I hear with eating a healthy breakfast is ‘I don’t know what to eat’, or ‘I don’t have time in the mornings to prepare breakfast’. With some planning ahead this won’t be an issue any longer!
cook up some black rice on Sunday as your ‘healthy carb’ to accompany lunches for the week, then your rice is already cooked for this breakfast dish, plus some of your lunch prep is taken care of.
grate the lemon rind, crush the garlic and chop the onion, mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini and spring onion while you are preparing dinner the night before. Place on a small plate in the fridge. If you are okay having this a few mornings in a row, prepare enough veg for 3 servings.
Following these tips will mean you can simply toss all your pre-prepared veg into the pan and the cooking part can happen while you are making kid’s school lunches or whatever else you need to get done in the morning.
Give this a try – make sure you let us know if you try these meal planning and prep tips and if they are a help!